Monday, September 26, 2011

Nature inspired fall decorations

Fall is here! And the reason I know it's here is because my kids point out every tree that's starting to change colors and talk about Halloween at least a few times each day. There's nothing like kids to help you get excited for new seasons and upcoming holidays! I thought I'd share a few inexpensive and easy Fall decorations we made that were inspired by nature...

Fall leaves
IMG_2482
We collected leaves on a walk, then tied them around a candle and a large jar with a candle inside. You could also tie them around mason jars or vases with something inside.

Grass
IMG_0845
Our neighbor gave me this idea a few years ago: to cut a bunch of tall grass and stick it in a vase. He gave the advice to spray the ends with hairspray so they don't get everywhere. So simple!

Squash
IMG_0836
This is one my favorites, mostly because you get to eat them when Fall is coming to a close :) I haven't come across an ornamental squash that wasn't edible yet. They'll last a couple months out on your counter, in a basket, in a bowl, wherever you put them, and add a whole lot of color. Here's how we like to cook them:

Cut the squash in half and spoon out the seeds. Fill the hole with a slab of butter and either salt or brown sugar (Pete likes salty and I like sweet, so we always do one of each). Put in 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Then mix the insides together and enjoy!
squash

What are your favorite Fall decorations?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...